Towards a permissive copyleft license for dynamic languages

Tagged:  •    •    •    •    •  

The problem

With the recent increase in free-software releases for dynamic languages, a serious issue is there for people who would prefer to give their software the protection of copyleft. The issue is the difficulty of interpreting the Lesser GPL in the context of these languages.

The difficulties in turn from two different sources. First, it is hard to interpret the language of the Lesser GPL in the context of languages that have no object files but only source code files.

Building GST on a Mac (some notes)

Tagged:  •    •    •    •  

The mac build instructions found at doesn't quite reflect my experience. They're not wrong, they're just not what I did (and keep doing, because I forget to write this stuff down). Of course, I'm using stow, and a PPC mac, which changes things a bit.

I installed the latest versions of

  • autoconf
  • automake
  • gawk
  • GNU libtool
  • GNU readline
  • git (not the GNU Interactive Tools, but the Version Control System.)

Optimizing HTTP header manipulation, part 2

Tagged:  •    •  

In the previous post I told you how a couple of primitives (which means, modifications to the base classes) helped speeding up HTTP processing in Swazoo by a factor of 6.

Today I'll remove another part of it by modifying Swazoo itself. To remove Seaside, I used the simple "hello world" site that Swazoo serves if you start it with

gst-load --start=swazoodemo Swazoo

Hire and Fire


Whenever I write something like the following, I feel homesick for ruby, where I never have to close files by myself.

 stream := FileStream fopen: 'registry.dump' mode: #write.
 [ ObjectDumper dump: registry to: stream ] ensure: [ stream close ]

Would anybody else beside me consider the following (fancily named) pattern useful?

 Object [ 
   hire: aBlock fire: cleanup [ 
     ^ [ aBlock value: self ] ensure: [ cleanup cull: self ]

OnlineTester: Benchmarking

Tagged:  •    •    •    •    •    •  

This post describes a session measuring the behavior of an Iliad web application using AJAX request. Memory consumption and run time were investigated for different numbers of simultaneous users.


Memory usage has drastically improved since the first public test session, it is down by about 50%. There is still some room for improvement, but the changes of the last two weeks have been impressive. As far as speed and stability is concerned, the application performs very well, even under (relatively) heavy load.

Syndicate content

User login